Thursday, August 14, 2014

Do's and Don'ts for FGS 2014

It's almost time for the 2014 Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference! This time it's in my neck of the woods, and I'm excited to have all these genealogy folks come to Texas. If this is your first trip to San Antonio, here are some tips to make your trip memorable:

DO try new things. Attend a class in something about which you know nothing, play with the databases in the vendor hall, make friends in the chairs around you while we're all waiting for sessions to start.

DON'T bring your horse or cowboy hat. Downtown San Antonio is a very busy place. Take all your visions of ranches and prairies out of your head and replace them with buses and tall buildings. Leave your boots at home too, unless they're super comfortable and worthy of long walks through the convention center.

DO take advantage of local food and drink. When it comes to after-hours conference entertainment, San Antonio is one of the better FGS settings in recent memory. There are so many choices! Here is a list of nearby restaurants and bars.

DON'T spend all your time in the convention center. I realize genealogy is the reason we're all coming to San Antonio, but take some time to explore the city surrounding the conference. Check out these downtown San Antonio maps for ideas.

DO realize The Alamo is only a short walk from the convention center.This conference offers you a great chance to see it (and realize how small it is). There's even an early-morning Fun Walk supporting the Preserve the Pensions cause. Why not sign up?

DON'T ask where the basement is at The Alamo:



DO come find me at the conference. I love making new genealogy friends!


6 comments:

  1. Now, that's funny. I would never have thought to post Jan Hooks doing the Alamo! I would love to go to something like this, but since I'm not an official genealogist...Plus my library is in full semester swing come Monday. -Rae (met you on LinkedIn)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae, you don't have to be an "official genealogist" to go. Everyone is welcome. Plus, I understand about libraries being busy at the beginning of the school year. I'll try to write here about what I learn so stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Have a great time, I wish I was going to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh maybe next year? Maybe in Indy some year? It's on my bucket list

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my bucket list...maybe next year...maybe in Indy some year? Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete